Thinking clearly after an accident is very difficult. The best way to protect yourself, your passengers, and your fellow motorists is to be proactive. Although we hope you can avoid accidents altogether, being prepared could save your life. As a towing company run by former law enforcement, the Merciful Towing team is highly experienced with roadside emergencies. We have witnessed firsthand the possible dangers after an accident, such as secondary accidents and conflicts between motorists. Your safety is our first concern, so remember these important steps if you find yourself in an accident.
- Take a Breath and Assess Yourself–Though your adrenaline will be pumping, you need to assess yourself for injuries. If you are injured, call 911 to get help on the way. With a serious injury, stay as still as possible and try not to move until emergency assistance arrives.
- Check on Your Passengers–If you are uninjured or your injuries allow movement, see if your passengers are injured. You can call for assistance with their injuries if you have not already called for yourself. Encourage everyone in your car to remain as calm as possible.
- Move to Safety–If your car is still functional, pull over to the shoulder before exiting the vehicle. Not only will this allow for traffic flow to resume quickly, but you could prevent a secondary accident from someone hitting your stranded vehicle. Putting on your hazard lights will help improve your visibility to fellow motorists and incoming emergency responders. Assuming you and your passengers are physically able and safe, exit your vehicle on the shoulder of the road.
- Call 911–If you have not already called based upon your injuries, go ahead and alert emergency responders now. Having a police report after an accident is important, even for smaller accidents like a fender bender. Your insurance company may require a copy of the police report to process your claim.
- Call Merciful Towing–When you are safe and emergency responders are in route, give us a call to request a tow. We have 24/7 emergency towing services, so you can count on us whenever you need us. Our team will be a calming and compassionate presence in the middle of your roadside trouble.
- Share Information–We recommend exchanging the following information with any motorists involved: full name, contact information, insurance company and policy number, license number, license plate number, and car details (color, make, model). Regardless of who is at fault for the accident, avoid further conflict from getting heated or laying blame. The police will evaluate and document the accident, which the insurance adjuster will use to determine fault.
- Get Documentation–Capturing as many details as possible about your accident is wise. Protect yourself by documenting the names and badge numbers of all police officers on scene, getting a copy of the accident report, taking pictures of your vehicle and the other vehicles involved from multiple angles, recording the details about the other drivers involved, and writing down the contact information and names of any witnesses present. All of this documentation can help you achieve a positive outcome with your insurance company.
Being prepared for the worst can help you protect yourself and others on the road. If you are in an accident, Merciful Towing will be there to help during your toughest roadside moment.